- 1½ cups yellow corn meal
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I use Cup for Cup)
- 2½ Tablespoons sugar
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut milk or other milk of your choice
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread, melted (I use Smart Balance)
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups Daiya shredded cheddar cheese (also can substitute real cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the coconut milk, applesauce, and melted vegan buttery spread and mix.
- Stir in the corn kernels, green onions, and shredded Daiya cheese.
- Pour mixture into a medium baking dish. Sprinkle more cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes or until golden brown on top and done in middle.
- Serve hot out of the oven for a spoonable casserole, or let cool completely to slice as a cornbread.