I love breakfast. I've said it before and I'll say it again. But to my dismay, my stomach is super sensitive especially right off in the morning. This means that when my dad makes his famous pancakes from scratch, they are too harsh on my stomach to actually enjoy. So I thought that maybe if I make pancakes with only the best ingredients, I'll be able to eat them. And these are perfect for me, and everyone else loves them too. You can't actually taste the quinoa if you have picky eaters and the recipe can very easily be substituted to be vegan. I made these gluten free and that too can be changed to just regular flour as well.
2 1/2 tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil, divided + extra for the pan
pinch of cinnamon
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/4 cup milk of your choice
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup GF all purpose flour (I use Cup for Cup!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups almond meal
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg (optional, just makes the pancakes less cakey)
2 bananas, sliced + divided
1. Cook the quinoa by melting a half tablespoon of coconut oil and adding a tablespoon of cinnamon. Add the rinsed and drained quinoa and a pinch of salt and turn the heat to medium low if it isn't already. Add a scant cup of water to the pan and bring it to a boil before simmering for 15 minutes. Let it cool completely.
2. Add lemon juice to milk and set aside for 5 or so minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar, and salt.
4. Combine the almond meal, vanilla, remaining coconut oil, and curdled milk in a blender. Blend until extremely smooth.
5. Scrape the blender mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and gently fold until just combined. Add cooled quinoa and an egg (egg is optional) and fold that in too until it is evenly mixed.
6. Heat a large pan with olive oil (or coconut oil, but I found the coconut oil burned too hot for my pancakes!) and drop 1/4 cup scoops of pancake into the pan. Mix in any bananas, berries, or chocolate chips now by sprinkling them on top. Once the bottom turns golden flip them over and cook until the entirety is golden.
7. Serve with maple syrup, extra fruit, or however you want!